PHM strongly condemns the arrest and ongoing detention of Daoud al-Ghoul, a Palestinian PHM activist.
Daoud al-Ghoul, an IPHU alumni, PHM Palestinian activist and the director of youth programs for the Health Work Committees in Jerusalem and the Kanaan Network of Palestinian civil society organizations and a prominent community organizer, was arrested by Israeli occupation military forces on 25 June.
The People’s Health Movement world-wide:
- Demands the release of Daoud al-Ghoul.
- Calls on the European Union to take action. The targeting of Al-Ghoul appears to be in retaliation for his testimony before the European Parliament. The EU cannot be silent on this case.
- Demands an end to the EU-Israel Association Agreement.
- Calls for protests at Israeli consulates or embassies for Daoud Ghoul and Palestinian prisoners.
- Urges support for the Boycott, Divest and Sanction Campaign. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation.
Civil society groups, members from academic institutions, religious groups, youth, education unions, individuals came together on the 3rd and 4th of July to 2015 to get an overview of the People's Health Movement and look at the possibility of forming a circle in Zambia. There have been several efforts by International People's Health University (IPHU) alumni to build a movement but this was the first meeting that the members of PHM Zambia called interested organisations and individuals to come together to build a health movement in Zambia.
Global Health Watch 4 was launched at Geneva's Press Club, on 20th of May 2015. It was accompanied by a panel discussion on the ‘Impacts of trade and investment agreements on health’. The event was organised by The Berne Declaration, Health Action International, Medico International, Medicus Mundi International, People’s Health Movement, Safe Observer International, the South Centre, Third World Health Aid, Third World Network, and Wemos.