The People’s Health Movement condemns the Israeli parliament for passing a law that is an affront to humanity and in flagrant violation of medical ethics.
The law, which provides for the force-feeding of hunger-striking detainees grants impunity to health professionals who cooperate with security force instructions that are contrary to medical ethics and which violate international human rights standards. Force-feeding of hunger strikers is barbaric and a form of torture, and has long been discredited as a way to deal with hunger strikes by countries that uphold international human rights standards.
The passing of this law makes it clear that Israel’s clam to be a democracy is a sham.
• We demand the Israeli government immediately withdraw the legislation.
• We call on the global movement to pressure the Israeli government and its political allies to end its impunity.
• We call on Israeli health professionals to stand up to this unethical and indecent measure by refusing to participate in any forced feeding of hunger strikers and we pledge to stand in solidarity with health professionals who seek to uphold their ethical and human rights obligations when treating prisoners in the Israeli security system.
PHM strongly condemns the arrest and ongoing detention of Daoud al-Ghoul, a Palestinian PHM activist.
Daoud al-Ghoul, an IPHU alumni, PHM Palestinian activist and the director of youth programs for the Health Work Committees in Jerusalem and the Kanaan Network of Palestinian civil society organizations and a prominent community organizer, was arrested by Israeli occupation military forces on 25 June.
The People’s Health Movement world-wide:
- Demands the release of Daoud al-Ghoul.
- Calls on the European Union to take action. The targeting of Al-Ghoul appears to be in retaliation for his testimony before the European Parliament. The EU cannot be silent on this case.
- Demands an end to the EU-Israel Association Agreement.
- Calls for protests at Israeli consulates or embassies for Daoud Ghoul and Palestinian prisoners.
- Urges support for the Boycott, Divest and Sanction Campaign. Hold Israel accountable for its violations of international law. Don’t buy Israeli goods, and campaign to end investments in corporations that profit from the occupation.
Civil society groups, members from academic institutions, religious groups, youth, education unions, individuals came together on the 3rd and 4th of July to 2015 to get an overview of the People's Health Movement and look at the possibility of forming a circle in Zambia. There have been several efforts by International People's Health University (IPHU) alumni to build a movement but this was the first meeting that the members of PHM Zambia called interested organisations and individuals to come together to build a health movement in Zambia.