Dear PHM friends,
During the last two weeks, PHA3 preparations accelerated and are moving fast!
This email is to bring you an update on the latest organisational developments as well as on global mobilisation efforts made towards the PHA3. PHA3 is less than 5 months away and we call upon the movement to fully engage with the mobilisation processes ensuring this PHA to be people-centred and a vibrant platform for the PHM to further strategise towards Health for All!
Please spread this message far and wide across your networks, constituencies and mailing lists. Many organisations such as Health Systems Trust, Equinet and International Health Policies dedicated an editorial or space on their website announcing the PHA3. We encourage everybody to follow their steps to spread the word about the PHA3 and as such ensuring the Assembly to be a people driven representative health activist event!
In this email:
- Important deadlines
- PHA3 mobilisation
- The international People’s Heath University
1. Contribute to the PHA3 program: consult in your PHM circle and send us your suggestions!
Deadline for contributions is 15th of March 2012.
The purpose of this consultation on the program for the PHA3 is to ensure that the program reflects the priorities and concerns of country circles, networks and others associated with the PHM. When sending alternate suggestions for the themes and sub-themes, please do add a few lines motivation regarding why you think your suggestions will add value to the program.
Please feel free to submit names for plenary and sub plenary speakers. The programme committee will review all proposals and make sure it is balanced. Please note they will not be able to consider all requests and suggestions.
We especially encourage organisation from Africa to submit proposals to ensure the PHA3 to reflect the African situation.
2. Organise a workshop or session during the PHA3 and inspire the movement!
Deadline for submissions is 31st of March 2012.
The program is structured to allow for as much contribution from the movement as possible. Afternoons are open for self organised activities where networks, PHM circles, organisations can organise a workshop, session or any other kind of activity. We encourage groups to submit a proposal. Please contact …….should you need to discuss the cost.
3. Register now for PHA3!
Please note that the deadline for registration is 14 April 2012.
However after 31st of March 2012, it will no longer be possible to apply for sponsorship to attend the PHA3. Unfortunately, the number of scholarships we can provide is very low as the financial environment has made fundraising extremely difficult.
We therefore encourage everybody to secure additional or partial funding to attend and recommend approaching your organisation or academic institution to sponsor you.
4. Call for documentaries, arts and culture
During the PHA3, a film and documentary festival will be organised and we are calling for suggestions for documentaries you believe to be relevant to the program.
There will also be space for showing of short film material with relevant case studies, campaign videos etc. Please let us know of any organisational videos, campaign videos, interviews etc that can be shown.
In the lead up to the PHA3 groups are organising and planning activities for before and during the PHA3. Below are some examples of what people have been engaging with. Please feel free to send us your PHA3 news and we would be happy to include it in the next PHA3 NEWS!
- Nepalese students organised a documentary and discussion evening, developed a Facebook page and webpage and published their first newsletter!
- In Ghana last week, IFMSA students met and agreed to organise towards the PHA3 assisting in building a global network of PHM students and are preparing for submitting a proposal for a self organised session at the PHA3!
- PHM South Africa increased activities to build civil society coalitions to mobilise towards PHA3 and to organise the National Health Assembly. This week, the GHW3 was launched in Johannesburg and next week it will be launched in Cape Town!
- PHM Togo in collaboration with Unicef, is organising a PHA3 regional assembly from 12 to 14 March bringing PHM members from the region together to analyse their situation and to start strategizing jointly for regional action.
- PHM UK is putting a lot of energy to organise a concurrent event whereby UK Students, PHM members and other interested individuals will come together to follow and link with the PHA3 online!
- Organisations working around reproductive justice are building a global network towards the PHA3 preparing self organised sessions during the Assembly!
Preceding the PHA3, the International People’s Health University (IPHU) of the People's Health Movement (PHM), jointly with the International Budget Partnership (IBP), South Africa and PHM-South Africa are organising a short course for young health activists ‘Struggle for health’ taking place from 25 June to 4 July in Cape Town at the University of the Western Cape.
Application deadline: 25th March 2012
Online application available
in English at: http://www.iphu.org/en/south-africa/announcement
in French at: http://www.iphu.org/fr/south-africa/announcement
Further details at:
The main course will be preceded by a mandatory online preparation during the period 12 April - 20 May 2012.